While searching for information about ravens for my upcoming chapter of Rubicon Ranch, the collaborative novel project I’m involved in, I clicked on a dead link. Instead of getting a generic “error” page, I landed on the following, which was just too amusing not to share:
The page which you requested was not found on this server, or the server was instructed not to let you have it. There could be a number of reasons for this error. The most common include:
- The Web Master for this page is a Lazy Git. The page which you requested may not have been built yet, and as such is not available for viewing.
- The page which you are looking for may have moved, or been deleted.
- The Web Master may have been working on these pages very late at night, and run out of caffeine. This causes frequent minor errors such as misspelled hypertext links, misplaced files, and mystery documents which disappear into thin air (or thinner electrons). You may have been directed to the wrong page. Mea Culpa. I’ll try not to do it again.
- You yourself may be working under the influence of too little caffeine, and have typed in the address incorrectly. Double check the address, and try again.
- The little spiders living in your computer are feeling neglected, and have decided to play tricks on you. Tell them you love them, beg with them, plead with them, and try reloading the page. Maybe they’ll give you what you’re looking for on your second attempt.
- You might simply not exist. This server regularly refuses service to people who do not exist. Double check your reality, and come back when you have the answer to life, the universe, and everything. (Are you really sure it’s 42?)
If all else fails, you could try sending email to the webmaster with a description of the problem you encountered, and perhaps the universe will see fit to serve you better in the future.
Thank you for your understanding, tolerance, and sense of humor.
The website I stole that from is: Shades of Night/Aviary.
It’s good to know about the neglected spiders in my computer. I cajoled my arachnids and told them I loved them and still, the page didn’t load. But my computer works much better now.
“If Dreams could be bottled… if the essence of Night could be distilled and captured in a jar… Who would not have a storehouse of poison and passion?”